If you are looking for a sweet snack that the whole family will love, then this hedgehog slice is perfect. And the best thing? It requires no baking and only takes 15 minutes to prepare before it sets in the refrigerator.
It is also very easy to customise so you can switch out various ingredients depending on what your family likes best.
To find out how to make this tasty hedgehog slice, keep reading.
What Will You Need?
To make this recipe you will need a tin that is approximately 18 cm by 28cm. You will also need to line the tin with parchment paper. You will need two microwave safe bowls and a microwave.
If you don’t own a Microwave, or if your Microwave is getting a bit old and inefficient, you can check out the latest models here.
Alternatively, you can melt the ingredients using a bain marie. You will need a heat proof mixing bowl that fits snugly inside a saucepan. Heat a small amount of water in the saucepan and place the mixing bowl on top.
Your ingredients go inside the mixing bowl and you heat them up gently until they melt. Be careful not to burn them and not to let any water splash into the bowl.
Do you follow a gluten-free diet? Then try our 4 Ingredient Fruit Cake
Tips And Tricks
It is really easy to make a hedgehog slice, but make sure you follow these tips and tricks to get it just right every time.
- Melting The Ingredients – Don’t rush the process of melting the ingredients. It is better to heat them up slowly and melt them gradually than to risk burning them. If you let the chocolate burn then you will have to throw it out and start again. If you have never tasted burnt chocolate then you certainly don’t want to!
- Chocolate – The chocolate is the main ingredient of this recipe, so make sure you get good quality chocolate. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive, as long as it is a type of chocolate that you know you like the taste of.
- Setting time – The longer you can leave this slice to set, the better. It will need a minimum of three hours, but if you can give it longer then it will make it more sturdy and easy to slice.
- Slicing – When it comes to cutting the hedgehog slice into squares, you will need to use a nice sharp knife to get through the set chocolate. It might be easier to score the lines where you want to cut first, then make the slices.
Do you love a bit of spice? Our Beef Korma Recipe is tasty, but not too hot.
How Can You Customise This Recipe?
The great thing about this recipe is that it is really easy to customise.
- Chocolate – The recipe suggests dark chocolate but you can use whatever chocolate you want. Milk, white, dark or a mixture of all three. You could use white chocolate in the mixture and top it with melted milk chocolate or vice versa. You can also use different flavours of chocolate – orange chocolate, nutty chocolate etc. Mint works brilliantly in this slice.
- Biscuits – You can make this recipe with any type of biscuits. You could try it with crushed cookies, with Oreos, or with whatever biscuits you have in your cupboard.
- Nuts – Walnuts are a great choice for this recipe but it would also work well with hazelnuts, brazil nuts, or even peanuts.
- Extra ingredients – You can add any sweet treats you want to this hedgehog slice to make it suit your tastes. Glace cherries, mini marshmallows, M&Ms, peanut butter cups – crush them up or leave them whole. Anything goes. You could also try mixing sweet with savoury by adding some salty crackers.
- Layers – There are two layers to this dessert, but you can get creative and add some more. You could add a layer of snapped up cookies in between the base layer and the top layer. You could make a milk chocolate layer, a white chocolate layer, and then top it off with dark chocolate. There are lots of different options.
- Vegan – If you want to make this a vegan recipe then you can use vegan chocolate, vegan biscuits, and coconut cream instead of condensed milk.
Remember that any changes you make to the ingredients will change the number of calories per serving.
Sometimes, all you need is a warming bowl of soup. Our Creamy Chicken Soup is comforting and yummy.