There are some days when you crave a warm bowl of comforting, creamy chicken soup. Especially, when the evenings start drawing in.
This recipe tells you how to make nourishing chicken soup with very little effort, so you can be tucking into a bowl of chickeny goodness in no time.
A lush bowl of pillowy potato gnocchi with our Pumpkin Gnocchi Sauce is a wonderfully satisfying meal
What Do You Need?
One of the great things about this creamy chicken soup recipe is that it can be made with just one pot.
All you need is a nice large stock pot that is big enough to hold all of the ingredients. You will also need a chopping board and a knife to prepare the vegetables.
If you fancy baking something everyone will love, see our Cinnamon Scrolls recipe
Tips And Tricks
This creamy chicken soup is nice and simple to make. Follow these tips and tricks to ensure that it comes out perfectly every time.
- Chicken – This recipe is ideal for using up rotisserie chicken. If you don’t have any rotisserie chicken then you can poach 2 chicken breasts and shred them. The trick is to make sure that whatever chicken meat you use is nice and soft.
- Stock – You can use stock cubes or store bought chicken stock, but it is even better if you make your own. You can easily make your own chicken stock by boiling up boned chicken, or the carcass leftover from your rotisserie chicken. Simmer it gently for at least an hour, longer if you can, making sure not to let all of the water evaporate. Drain the water out to get your chicken stock. You can freeze this and use it whenever you make soup.
- Blitz – If you prefer smooth soup, you can use a stick blender to blitz the ingredients together. Do this before you add the chicken, as blitzed chicken tends to create a strange texture.
If you don’t have a Stick Blender, you can buy one here. There are so useful. You can make everything from a smooth sauce, to a lump-free soup, to a perfectly frothy milkshake with one.
- Soft vegetables – you don’t want to be crunching hard vegetables while you are trying to enjoy your comforting, creamy soup. Make sure you cook the soup for long enough to let the vegetables go soft.
Do you like Asian flavours? Check out our post on How To Cook Lamb Ribs
How Can You Customise This Recipe?
One of the great things about cream chicken soup is that it is so versatile. You can customise it any way that you like to make it your own. Here are some ideas.
- Vegetables – Onions and celery help to create strong savoury flavours to form the base of the soup. From here, you can build up with any vegetables that you like- peas, sweetcorn, broccoli, beans, bell peppers, spinach, cabbage, mushrooms – there are so many options. You can choose your favourite vegetables or just throw in whatever needs using up.
- Vegetarian – If you want to make this soup vegetarian, leave out the meat and swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- Meat – This soup works really well with chicken, but you could also use shredded turkey or even pork. You could also add some bacon or chorizo whilst you are frying off the onions, which would give the soup a saltier, meatier flavour.
- Wine – If you want to add some white wine to this soup to give it a more sophisticated taste, simply add the wine just before the chicken stock. Let it simmer and reduce, then add the chicken stock and continue with the recipe as normal.
- Creamy – Whole milk is used to make this soup creamy. If you want your soup to be even more indulgent, switch out the whole milk for double cream instead.
- Spice – If you like your soup with a bit of kick, there are several ways to introduce this. You could use chilli oil instead of olive oil. You could also add chilli powder or fresh chillies when you are frying the onions. Chilli flakes could also be added at multiple points in the recipe to create warmth.
- Cheese – Parmesan cheese is used in this recipe for creamy chicken soup, but you can swap this out for any kind of cheese that you want. Tangy cheddar, spicy mexicana, mild Monterey Jack, or creamy brie – there are lots of different options.
- Garnish – This recipe uses chopped green onions as a garnish. You could use chives, parsley, or any other herb of your choice. You can also use whatever kind of grated cheese you fancy.
Wondering what to have for dessert? Our Almond Meal Cake is healthy and versatile