If you want to make a tasty treat but you don’t want to spend too long in the kitchen, then this mars bar slice is ideal.
Editor’s Note: Did you know that if you drops spoonfuls of prepared mixture into patty cases and cool then chill it, this is how English people make Chocolate Crackles? Give it a try for your next children’s party.
It only takes 10 minutes to prepare, and then you can leave it to set in the refrigerator. It lasts for up to 5 days so you don’t need to eat it all in one sitting – though you may want to!
Here are some more of our favourite Easy Slice Recipes
What Do You Need?
To make this recipe you will need a tin that measures 18cm by 22 cm. Grease the tin with butter or a squirt of spray oil and line with parchment paper.
To melt the ingredients you will need a saucepan. Alternatively, you can use a microwave and a microwave safe bowl. If you don’t have a microwave oven, you can buy one here.
You will also need to melt the chocolate topping which can be done in the microwave, or in a bain marie.
Is your Microwave loosing its power? Or maybe it’s looking a bit old and grubby? Click here for the latest models of Microwave in a range of styles and to sort all budgets.
If you are using a bain marie you will need a saucepan and a heat proof bowl. When it comes to chopping the mars bar slice into squares you will need a nice sharp knife.
If you are looking for an ultra-easy recipe, see our Apricot Balls Recipe (No Bake)
Tips And Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to make sure that your mars bar slice is a success.
- Room Temperature Ingredients – It will be a lot quicker and easier to melt the ingredients if the butter and mars bars have been kept at room temperature rather than in the refrigerator.
- Melting – When you melt the ingredients, make sure that they are not burning or cooking. Whether you are using a microwave or doing it on the stove top with a saucepan, the heat needs to be low. You need to keep stirring to make sure that the ingredients don’t stick and burn. If you use a bain marie to melt the chocolate, make sure that the bowl is not too close to the bottom of the saucepan. Don’t let any water splash into the chocolate as this will ruin the texture.
- Mixing – When you mix the melted ingredients with the puffed rice cereal, make sure you do this carefully. If you mix too vigorously then you will crush the cereal. Keep mixing gently until all of the rice is coated.
- Setting – It will need the full 4 hours for the chocolate to set properly, so you will have to be patient. Don’t try to cut the slice into squares as soon as you take it out of the refrigerator – the chocolate will be too solid. Let it come up to room temperature first.
- Storage – You can keep these slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How Can You Customise This Recipe?
If you want to make some changes to this recipe then there are a few things you can try.
- Mars Bars – Mars Bars work really well in this recipe because of the combination of caramel, nougat and chocolate. However, there are other bars you can try. Snickers would be good if you like nutty flavors, and Milky Way bars melt really well. You can use any kind of bar that melts, but you may need to add a bit more butter or golden syrup to achieve the right consistency depending on which bar you use.
- Extra Ingredients – you could stir through some extra treats to make your bar even tastier. M&Ms, chopped nuts, mini marshmallows – there are lots of options. If you want to make these for a kids party and add from excitement, popping candy is fun.
- Layers – This slice is made up of two layers – the rice layer and the chocolate layer. You could make a slice that has more layers if you wanted. You could include two different rice layers using different melted bars.