Looking for an afternoon treat that looks impressive, tastes divine, but is simple to make? Well, we’ve got the answer.
This delicious apple and rhubarb cake is light and elegant with a sweet, fruity flavour. It is a French style cake that is perfect for afternoon tea or an after dinner treat.
This recipe is easy to follow and will result in a wonderful cake that is certain to impress.
What Do You Need?
To make this recipe you will need a 9 inch round cake tin. To make the cake batter you will need a stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl with an electric hand whisk.
If you don’t have either a Stand Mixer or an Electric Hand Whisk, don’t panic. We have a huge range of kitchen gadgets to help you become a master chef and they are just a click away. For Stand Mixers, click here. And for Electric Hand Whisk, try this link.
You will also need a knife and chopping board to prepare the apple and rhubarb. When it comes to slicing the cake, make sure you use a sharp knife that can easily cut through the fruit.
Stuck on what to make for dinner? Give our Beef Korma a go.
Tips And Tricks
If you follow these tips and tricks then your apple and rhubarb cake will come out perfectly every time.
- Prepare the tin – Make sure that to prepare your tin by greasing it with butter. You can also line it with parchment paper if you want to. You don’t want your cake to stick to the pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar – Beating the butter and sugar together thoroughly with a whisk before adding the rest of the ingredients helps to create the perfect texture for the cake. Do not rush this step. Making sure that the mixture is light and fluffy will help to prevent your cake from being too dense.
- Add the eggs gradually – Adding the eggs one by one will help them to mix better into the batter and will create a much smoother consistency.
- Don’t over mix – You need to make sure that all of the flour is mixed in, but don’t mix the batter too much as this could ruin the texture. If you mix it too much then you will beat out all of the air that you introduced during the creaming phase. This will make the cake dense and heavy.
- Apples – Slice the apples as thinly as possible to make sure that they cook through and to give the cake a neat, even appearance. Don’t rush the arrangement of the apples – try to make a nice pattern. If you are worried about your apple slices turning brown then add a small amount of lemon juice to them.
If you love to bake, why not try making our Cinnamon Scrolls Recipe?
How Can You Customise This Recipe
There are several ideas you can try if you want to customise this apple and rhubarb cake.
- Fruit – Apple and rhubarb is a lovely combination, but there are other fruits you can try. Pear and blackberry, peach and strawberry, or apple and blueberry are just a few ideas. If you want to make a tropical cake, you could use pineapple in the batter and slices of mango on top.
- Nuts – Almonds work really well in this recipe, but you could switch them out for hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans or macadamia nuts. You can use flaked nuts or chopped nuts. If you want to create a crunchy texture inside the cake, add some nuts into the batter as well as on top. You can make the cake as nutty as you want to, just be aware that adding more nuts can sometimes dry out the batter. You can remedy this with a little splash of milk.
- Spices – If you want to give this sponge some warmth, add some cinnamon into the batter. You could also sprinkle some cinnamon and brown sugar onto the apples.
- Shape – This cake is designed to be made in a single, deep tin. If you want to turn it into a layer cake, bake it in two shallower sponge tins for less time. You can then layer them up with some fresh cream in the middle.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract is used to flavour the sponge, but you can switch this up if you want to. You could use a lemon or an orange extract to create a zesty flavour, or go for an almond extract to complement the almonds on top of the cake.
Remember that any changes to the recipe will change the number of calories per serving.
Our Lemon Meringue Slice is tasty and simple.