Is there anything better than a tray of crispy nachos topped with bubbling cheese, rich beef and tasty beans? We don’t think so. After all, there’s a reason why beef nachos are popular both as a family dinner and as a snack to dip into whilst watching a movie.
This recipe for comforting beef nachos is incredibly satisfying and is very easy to make.
It is a great meal for a Friday night in, for watching the game, or for sharing with friends and family.
Read on to find out how to make these tasty nachos.
Wondering where to find great Mexican food in Melbourne? Well, look no further.
What Do You Need?
This is a very simple recipe. All you need is a large pan for the beef and sheet pan for the nachos.
You will need some parchment paper to line the sheet pan, and some of the ingredients need to be chopped, so a knife and chopping board are required.
Our Must Make Chicken Satay Recipe is packed with flavour
Tips And Tricks
If you want to make sure that your nachos are perfectly delicious and comforting every time, follow these tips and tricks.
- Layers – Choose a sheet pan that is large enough to hold a relatively thin layer of tortilla chips. This means that every chip will have plenty of toppings. If you need to make a larger batch of nachos, create more layers to ensure that you don’t get lots of dry tortilla chips. For example, a layer of chips, a layer of beef, a layer of cheese, a layer of beans, a layer of chips, a layer of beef, a layer of cheese, a layer of beans.
- Meat – The meat needs to be juicy, but not dripping in liquid. Make sure that the water reduces before you add the beef to the nachos. Otherwise, the water will make the chips soggy and stop them from being crispy.
- Individual Portions – Nachos are a great meal to share with a group of friends. You could all tuck into one tray of nachos, or you can layer up nachos in individual ramekins so everyone has their own portion. This is a great way to serve nachos as an appetiser at a dinner party.
Don’t have any ramekins? Well don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. Click here for the latest stylish designs and fun colours.
- Build Your Own – If you want a fun idea for your family, have a build your own nacho night! Make a beef topping, a chicken topping, and set out a variety of cheese and sauces etc. Provide individual ramekins and let each member of the family build their own nachos.
- Reheating – Nachos are best enjoyed warm and fresh. If you can’t eat them all straight away, cover with foil and reheat in the oven later on. Make sure the meat is piping hot. This can only be done on the day that the nachos were made, as the tortilla chips will likely be stale the next day. Alternatively, nachos reheat brilliantly in an air fryer.
Sydney has some excellent Mexican cantinas. Here’s our guide.
How Can You Customise This Recipe?
If you want to experiment with different ingredients, then there are lots of ways to customise this recipe.
- Peppers – This recipe uses jalapeno peppers to give the nachos a spicy kick. If you prefer your nachos mild then you can use sweet mini peppers instead. If you like a very savoury flavour then try a green bell pepper.
- Meat- You could switch the ground beef for ground pork, ground chicken, or even pulled pork or shredded chicken. If you want to make this a vegetarian recipe simply switch out the meat for a mix of peppers and onions.
- Cheese – You can use whatever type of cheese you want on these nachos – spicy cheese, Monterey jack, mozzarella, tangy cheddar- this is a great way to adjust the flavours. You could even use a vegan cheese.
- Beans – Switching up the beans is a great way to adapt this recipe. You could try red beans, white beans, a bean medley, or even some refried beans.
- Toppings – If you want to add more toppings then go for it! You could make a homemade guacamole, a fresh pico de gallo, or use salsa and soured cream. If you don’t like soured cream or it disagrees with you, try blitzing cottage cheese into a smooth consistency and using that instead.
Remember that any changes you make to this, our best comforting beef nachos recipe, will change the number of calories per serving.
Try our Mexican Dessert Recipes for the perfect end to your meal.
If you have a party coming up and fancy serving Mexican food, see our piece on Qdoba Catering